Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS) using ArcGIS for Desktop
Class will be held on Stennis Space Center, Bldg 1021 (MSU Bldg), 8:30-4:30 each day. Cost is $25 per student. To register, please contact Troy Teadt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 228-688-3113 (office) or 985-788-3257 (cell).
Course Length: 2 days (16 hours)
This course is intended for individuals who have no experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and offers a basic introduction to GIS using ESRI’s ArcGIS for Desktop software.
Who Should Attend
Individuals who are interested in learning about Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and ESRI’s ArcGIS for Desktop software.
Course participants will learn and explore the following:
- What GIS is and how is it used.
- Exploring GIS data in ArcGIS for Desktop (ArcMap/ArcCatalog)
- GIS data formats
- Map projections and coordinate systems.
- Symbolizing and Labeling Features in a map.
- Working with attribute tables
- Editing and creating data
- Using geoprocessing tools to process data
- Analyzing GIS data
- Designing a map layout.
Prerequisites: Basic computer skills